Sometimes Chicago sounded like a casino. Other times a war zone with its relentless wailing of sirens and the whirring of helicopters that hovered almost within reach of the crowds at Millennium Park. Black Lives Matter is trying to get our attention.
Sometimes Chicago sounded like a carnival. Sometimes a church. Mixed in there were the street musicians playing for change, reminding me of the time I got lost in Brussels looking for the Sleep Well. This is not Saint Paul or Minneapolis. It makes me wonder if a person would be able to identify their hometown based on a recording, sort of like the sound of a mother’s voice.
People talk and I record them. This is not Chicago any more than the pictures I saw people taking of the Trump Tower would epitomize the city. It’s just a snapshot of a particular time and place. I wish I could have done more. I missed a lot, even the rumbling of the “L” from overhead. I’d like to go back.
- Greg, our mailman and a fellow Red Sox fan.
- Cory Mottaz, On Air Personality/Voice Talent.
- Autumn Day Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0
In the name of free association, coincidence and curiosity here are some show links.
- Ross, Max. (2016, July 16). A family undergoes renovations at Walker Art Center. Star Tribune. Retrieved from http://www.startribune.com/
Taking pictures of people taking pictures of art takes Brian’s observation to a new level.
- I’m uncomfortable with how comfortable we are with our growing preference for the company of robots over people. I wish everyone would read this book.
Baseball came up a lot…
- Jeff McNeely – Boston Red Sox
- Jeff McNeely – Charlotte Megastars
- Negro Leagues History
- Two for Flinching, Christian Finnegan. CD. Amazon. I threw this in here for the routine Finnegan does on Red Sox hats. Loved it.
- Comiskey Park
- Black Sox Scandal
Because Mr. Brook wanted to talk about the Chicago Bulls…
I pull out what little I know, which is that the Timberwolve’s (my team) recently hired Tom Thibodeau who won nearly 65 percent of his games in five seasons with the Bulls. But then Brook changed the subject…
Mentioned in the conversation with the protester at the Taste of Chicago at Millennium Park…
- ANSWER Chicago – Act Now to Stop War and End Racism
- Hall, Gaynor, & Runge, Erik. (2016, July 9).
Protesters descend on Taste of Chicago, Grant Park. WGNtv. Retrieved from http://wgntv.com/
- Smith, Mitch. (2016, August 18).
Chicago Officers Face Firing Over Laquan McDonald Cover-Up. The New York Times. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com
- Alton Sterling Shooting in Baton Rouge Prompts Justice Dept. Investigation The New York Times. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com
- Peralta, E., & Corley, C. (Writers). (2016, July 15). The Driving Life And Death Of Philando Castile [Radio broadcast]. In Morning Edition. Minneapolis, Minnesota: NPR.
- 2016 shooting of Dallas police officers Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org
The TV screens that plastered the walls of the hotel restaurant flashed from one crime scene to another. Baton Rouge. Saint Paul and eventually Dallas.
In the meantime, a group of Black Hebrew Israelites were preaching…
After a brief encounter, I wondered who their audience was.
- Black Hebrew Israelites. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org.
- Israelite Church of God in Jesus Christ. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org.
I do not have nor want a smart phone and other reasons I’m concerned about the disappearance of taxis…
When my neighbor showed me his Uber app and raved about how great the service is, it’s hard to argue with the genius of the idea that connects drivers to those needing a lift. Yet I’m not convinced that we have thought this through.
- Taxis, TNCS and Deregulation: Is History Repeating Itself?
- New data: Uber, Lyft more likely to bypass north Minneapolis Star Tribune. Retrieved from http://www.startribune.com
Related to the conversation about Dr. Seuss, the artist and sculptor…
- Atlas Galleries, Your authorized gallery resource for ALL official Dr. Seuss Artwork.
- The Art of Dr. Seuss – Water Tower Place, 835 N. Michigan Ave
- Cubism – The Met
- Surrealism – The Met
- Stonor Saunders, Frances (1995, October 21).
Modern art was CIA ‘weapon’ – Revealed: how the spy agency used unwitting artists such as Pollock and de Kooning in a cultural Cold War. Independent. Retrieved from http://www.independent.co.uk/
- New York University – College of Arts and Sciences. “What’s So Great About Keeping It Real?: Social Critique in African American Culture.” Online video clip. Vimeo. Vimeo, 16 February 2016. Web. 23 August 2016.
- Art Deco – Art Deco Society of New York
- Our guide at the art gallery compared Frank Stella’s abstractions to Dr. Suess’ Green Cat in Uleåborg Finland Subway. The Green Cat was one of my favorites of the Seuss reproductions we saw at the Atlas
- Frank Stella, Black Series I, 1967, National Gallery of Art
- To Brian’s point about taking pictures of paintings: “Stella recalls showing his Black Paintings in Baltimore in 1973. Ever since, they’ve been rarely shown. ‘What people know about the Black Paintings is the idea,’ he said. ‘They know something from reproduction, but the reproductions of the paintings are brutal. They don’t really photograph.'”Sayej, Nadja (2015, August 1).
Frank Stella: ‘If you get into art to make money, you’re deluded’. The Gurdian. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com
A great dinner experience on Michigan Avenue in Chicago
- Bandera – We count on an exceptional meal at some point in our travels. The last time we were in Chicago it was a place in Chinatown. This time it was Bandera. Wow!
Also suggested Chicago dinner spots were…
- Labriola Ristorante & Café – 535 North Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL 60611
- The Purple Pig – 500 N Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60611
- Sayat-Nova – 157 East Ohio Street Chicago, IL 60611
- Chef’s Burger Bistro – 164 E Grand Ave, Chicago IL, 60611
- Gino’s East Pizzeria – 162 E Superior St, Chicago, IL 60611
- Portillo’s – 100 W. Ontario, Chicago IL 60610